Friday, April 01, 2011

Wondering on April 1st 2011

Crocolile in San Blas Bird in the estuary in San Blas

Gringo's doing what gringo's do Allymar in the sparkles

Do
Don't poop on the beach
Me eating pasta with my garlic pressure cooker bread

Bringing in a fish on the hand line

What a great Yellow tail tuna




Well, here I am back in La Paz B.C.S. winding down my trip and stay in Mexico. Iyt has been a great time and adventure the past 5 months traveling both in the Sea of Cortez and mainland Merxico on the west coast since October of 2010. I am ready to go home and resume my real life with memories that will last forever. I have mixed feelings with doing this without my wife Harp (doing it alone with crew etc) balanced against the many wonderful experiences and challenges that were met and surpassed. I have to thank her for this opportunity to travel while she stayed home and worked. I also must thank my wonderful mother who saved my first kindergarten finger painting which was of a sailboat. She also reminded of the many times I made boats out of scrap wood that always had a sail. As I plan for next year the need to maintain focus on what I want foe the rest of my like is most important. Sailing is like life, once you loose your focus it is so easy to get off course. It is remarkable how good an autopilot and windvane steers Allymar, never getting tired, needing a bathroom break or whinning about something. I have tendencies to put my life on autopilot, a thing that does not work for us organic vessels. I have once again learned to not trust the instruments. To look, feel the wind on my cheek and feel the motion on Allymar. To not envy the yacht that passed us, or the large one with microwave and a dishwasher. Thay have their own problems and my life is all that I can handle right now. So, as I remember and ponder the last months of fun and life, it seems like going into a northger when I am trying to go north. Than happyness is always just one step behind frustration. The sunsets and sunrises were great although there was no green flash this year. The small towns and slow anchorages were quiet and fulfilling. The Mexical people are so industrious and capable with so little in comparison to us rich northamericanos. I will try to remember to say hello, good by and thank you to the people I deal with back home. Those few words are spoken all the time and not just as a rote thing. Smiles and communications were extendedto me all the time in ways not seen in the US. Sailing made me appreciate the unexpected. To change plans for safety, smooth sailing or just to go somewhere else became easy. There was always another day to get to that harbor and the place we did go to was usually a pleasant suprise and had hidden gems of wonder. Many time I wrote in my log that we up-anchored and had a ????? as to where we were going. hard to cast something in ce3ment on the water eh. Speaking of instruments (earlier in this message I was) that wind indicator on the top of the mast that was supposed to tell me the direction of the wind was sold to me incorrectly. It is actually a directional pointer telling us the way to go. We sure had noserlies a lot especially coming northg from Barra de Navidad. I saw the southern cross, made a correct sun sight with the sextant and worked out our position with the sight reduction tables, drank too much cervesa and usually ate good. I made new and revisited with old friends. Hopefully to see them again on the seas. I will be heading home on the 14th of April, and expect the rain to stop (did you hear that rain gods). As to next season, who knows.

As for now it is time to play out one of the truisms of sailing "Having the opportunity to work on your boat in fun and interesting locations".


Fair winds and an exciting life to all Ken

No comments: